Former Ashland State General Hospital
March 27, 2020 -- The former Ashland State Hospital sits empty as the COVID-19 pandemic sweeps across Pennsylvania. The hospital opened in 1883 as the State Hospital for Injured Persons of the Anthracite Coal Region at Fountain Springs and became the Ashland State General Hospital in 1967. The state divested in 1992 and it became the Ashland Regional Medical Center. In 2006 Saint Catherine's Hospital of Pennsylvania bought the property and operated as the Saint Catherine's Medical Center at Fountain Springs. The hospital has been vacant since Saint Catherine's closed in 2012.